This estate is located in the Rosal Valley, the warmest and southernmost subregion in Rias Baixas. Quinta de Couselo is one of the ancient crus designated by the Cistercian monks who got established in the monastery of Santa Maria de Oia in the 12th Century. The Couselo vineyard, with its huge twin pines depicted in its labels, is comprised of 10 acres of land in loam-textured soils, planted with Albariño, Loureiro, Treixadura and Caíño. The vineyard, with a small and cozy cellar in the middle, is enclosed by the same stoned wall that the Cistercian monks built centuries ago.
This vineyard was carefully tended since 1864 by the Vicente Family, who also established contracts with neighboring farmers to purchase their fruit to make wine later on. Quinta de Couselo was acquired in 2013 by the project “Grandes Pagos Gallegos de Viticultura Tradicional”, a group of Galician wineries aiming to develop singular projects in areas where indigenous varieties best express themselves. The aim is to continue the legacy of the Vicente family, and that’s why the year the Vicentes founded their family winery (1864) still appears in the labels of Quinta de Couselo wines.