In the 14th Century, a chaplainry existed in the village of Pedrosa del Duero. The inhabitants of the village used to donate small parcels of land to the chaplains in appreciation for the religious duties they performed in the area. Over time, the chaplainry came to have a sizeable landholding, and even though the land passed to the city council in 1855, the inhabitants continued to call the area “Pago de los Capellanes” in honour of the chaplains. Today, these plots have grown to become one of the most prestigious wineries in the Ribera del Duero region, owned by the Rodero Villa family.
The 35 parcels of Pago de los Capellanes only grow Tinto Fino, the Tempranillo variety indigenous to the Ribera del Duero. The yields are kept at 5000 kg per hectare, below the 7000 allowed by the Regulatory Council of the region, and each parcel is processed separately. The winery has assembled a selection of 22 types of French oak with different levels of air dryness (24 to 60 months) and toasting depending on the wood´s origins (Allier, Nevers, central France) to assist in the aging process. The whole project started in 1980. Its gorgeous facilities, which have been constantly expanding in the last few years, are worth a visit.